I’ve been thinking a lot lately about Twitter in the University world. Namely, is a faceless university presence serving us well? Would we do better if students, alumni and other interested followers knew who the man behind the mask was? As I began tweeting orientation, I realized that perhaps it would be ok to let it be known I was also @jesskry. I’d been having conversations with people via both and found it could confuse some. Off the top of my head at 8 AM, here’s my quick pro/con list.
- Make it more personal by showing the personality that is tweeting: I’m not just a ‘bot.
- Stand out from other university tweet streams that primarily look and feel ‘institutional’ not ‘conversative’.
- Provide a rotating personality for regular followers – like a DJ. :)
- No separation of work and home for some followers.
- Application of your personal thoughts to the university by those who dont know any better.
- Being found by those who you do not want to find you (co-workers, bosses, etc.)
I’m leaning toward thinking its worth the few cons. What do you think?